Art & Technology – May Term 2019
Week 1: May 13 – 17
0. Create a blog and email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Explore Angel de Quinta’s STAGE DOOR Blog with an amazing collection of excerpts from Broadway plays. Post your comments on your favorite shows on your blogs. (10 points)
2. Watch Aeneas and Dido and research the history of the opera and story. Come to class on Tuesday ready to discuss the opera and its mise en scene: https://youtu.be/6GmJdPYC2Xw
Mise en Scene:
Tuesday: Photo & Film
3. Create a 15 second short stop-motion animation video. Using your phone camera and available objects at home, and post to your blogs by class time on Thursday. Tell a short story within your short animation. Use sound if desired. Minimum shots = 150 using 10 frames per second. (15 points)
Free Stop-Motion Animation Apps:
4.Write 500 words on the evolution of file sharing applications in the early 2000’s to present (Napster / Limewire, and others you discover ). Make sure to cite sources with links to the articles used. (10 points)
View The Social Network in class.
View stop motion animations in class. Introduction of weekend assignments and technique on pixelation and collage.
Friday: Opera Essay Assignment Due
5. Watch Aeneas and Dido and write a 750-1000 word paper with your personal research and comments on the “mise en scene“. What did you discover watching Aeneas and Dido? How do you think audiences reacted to it when it was originally presented? Why do you think this piece is important in the chronology of Opera? How is technology used in it? If you were a 21st century director, how would you turn this piece into a VIDEO GAME?
Aeneas and Dido: https://youtu.be/6GmJdPYC2Xw
Due Friday, May 17th @ midnight
Total word count: 750 – 1000 words
6. Grid Piece
Create a work of art using the notion of “Grid Art“. More details to be given in class ( grid must be at least 10×10 units of your choice)
Week 2: May 20 – 24
Monday: Arts and Tech
Collage Piece Assignment:
7. Create a 2D and/or 3D work of art inspired by any of the Art Movements seen in class. Using a scanner or camera or images you find online, Use at least 7 images in your composition – you can prints and college the images or create the collage in a digital file editing software – PhotoShop, Gimp, etc. (Due Wednesday on your blogs)
Free Image Editor: GIMP
8. Video Art Project
Create a video artwork where you are the performer. Use video effects and create a unique soundtrack for the piece.
Jaron Braxton Video Art
Create a soundtrack with one, or a combination, of the following resources:
Modular Synth Online (demo in class)
Garage Band (Apple)
~2 minutes runtime
Grid Art piece critique
Survey of music technology and 20 / 21st century music.
9. Music Blog Entry: Look at all of the artists and links on the Music page linked above, choose one artist or group, research their music and write a 250 word blog entry about your research on the band. Make sure to discuss the musical style and the relevance of the band in the history of music and technology. Due Friday 5 pm.
Thursday: New Media
10. Portfolio Revision (5 points)
Review your blogs and make sure all entries are complete.
Video Artwork: afternoon screenings in class